Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tempo 15 miler?

This morning it was a bit chilly with starting temps at around 25 degrees F. Its starting to feel like winter out there. We were running an out & back today through a very very hilly course so I knew it was going to be tough. We proceeded to warmup slowly running in the mid-7 minute range for the first 3 miles. Then, it kicked in. We pushed the pace to 7 mins per mile flat for the next 9 miles which had me struggling to hang on to the group. I felt under-fueled due to conservative eating over Thanksgiving. I managed to makeup ground in from miles 9-11 even passing a few people. During the last 3 miles though the pace was increased to around a 6:45 min per mile pace. I took a GU gel at mile 12 so my energy was a little better. I was very very tired as we finished up. I was only about 15 feet behind the front 2 at the end so it could have been worse. We ended up averaging around a 7:10 minute per mile pace for the 15 "hilly" miles which I was very pleased with. It was a very good yet challenging training run. not too bad considering my effort on Thursday morning.

Lots of chores today as I need to do laundry, dishes, etc. No rest for the weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment